May 6, 2012, 4:23 PM EDT
Say what you will about Detroit Tigers pitcher Justin Verlander but you can’t say that he doesn’t appreciate his fans.
An 11-year-old girl named Shayna Hersh of Huntington Woods, Michigan has been writing Verlander for the past year to tell him that he was her favorite player. Hersh has cystic fibrosis and had recently lost her mother due to illness but had the moment of a lifetime as she got to finally meet her favorite Detroit Tiger.
Hersh and father were invited to the MLB Fan Cave in New York City to do a video piece about her love for the Tigers ace. What Shayna didn’t know that Justin was actually going to surprise during her interview and gives us a touching moment when a little girl got to meet her favorite baseball player:
Justin Verlander meets 11-year-old girl [It’s Always Sunny in Detroit]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte