NY Post columnist goes off the rails on Jay-Z: ‘Why the Brooklyn Nets when they can be the New York N——s?’ (with update)
May 4, 2012, 11:03 AM EDT
New York Post columnist Phil Mushnick is a longtime critic of Jay-Z’s co-ownership of the Brookyln Nets — plus, I’m guessing, he’s not much of a rap music fan. But this may be a little much. In his column today, Mushnick suggested that Jay-Z go all the way with his black-and-white marketing motif and, well, read it for yourself: (Update with Mushnick response, below).
As long as the Nets are allowing Jay-Z to call their marketing shots — what a shock that he chose black and white as the new team colors to stress, as the Nets explained, their new “urban” home — why not have him apply the full Jay-Z treatment?
Why the Brooklyn Nets when they can be the New York N——s? The cheerleaders could be the Brooklyn B—-hes or Hoes. Team logo? A 9 mm with hollow-tip shell casings strewn beneath. Wanna be Jay-Z hip? Then go all the way!
I think that Mushnick (a.) does not have a clear understanding if Jay-Z’s music, and (b.) may need an intervention.
H/T Bob’s Blitz.
UPDATE: Mushnick emails Bob’s Blitz, commenting on the response to his column note:
Bob – Such obvious, wishful and ignorant mischaracterizations of what I write are common. I don’t call black men the N-word; I don’t regard young women as bitches and whores; I don’t glorify the use of assault weapons and drugs. Jay-Z, on the other hand…..Is he the only NBA owner allowed to call black men N—ers?”
Jay-Z profits from the worst and most sustaining self-enslaving stereotypes of black-American culture and I’M the racist? Some truths, I guess, are just hard to read, let alone think about.
(Same column I provide support for Amar’e Stoudemire at a time when everyone in town is ripping him to shreds. That was my LEAD, too, but what does that matter?)
Bob’s Blitz also says that NY Post editors did not have an issue with the topic and that there will be no further comment on it from Phil.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte