Iowa girl takes cardboard cutout of Tim Tebow to prom as her date

May 1, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT

cardboardtebowgetty Getty Images

‘Tis the season for random high school seniors to ask celebrities to their prom. Some, like Jeremy Lin, can’t make it, so they send a video. Others accept. Tim Tebow is apparently too busy to even say no. When Rachel Bird, a senior at Kingsley-Pierson High School in Iowa, tweeted Tebow and asked if he’d be her prom date, she got no response. So she did what any girl would do — she got a life-sized cardboard cutout of Tebow and took that to the prom.

“He was a cheap date, and he didn’t talk much,” Bird joked. “And when I asked him to stand in a corner, he did. I don’t think it even hurt his feelings.”

Response? Cardboard Tebow was a huge hit.

Everyone laughed when Rachel Bird showed up at friend DeAndra Mahrt’s home for pre-prom pictures. Her classmates HAD to include Tebow in group photos.

Classmates convinced Bird to enter the gym as a “couple” at the grand march. She decided to do it. Announcer Scott Bahrke introduced her last. “Rachel Bird,” Bahrke said. “Escorted by Tim Tebow.”

“It was awkward, but people asked me to stop for photos during the grand march,” she said. “Believe me, this isn’t something I ever thought I’d be doing.”

Her only regret?

“I should have made a dress out of Jets jerseys,” she said. “But I didn’t have time.”

***
Iowa girl has cardboard cutout of Tim Tebow serve as her prom date [Sportress of Blogitude]

1. Lori Schmidt - May 1, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I can’t criticize. I’ve had shallower dates than hers.

2. gen129 - May 2, 2012 at 3:32 AM

One of my friends back in HS wouldn’t reschedule his karate black belt test or whatever to take his girl to senior prom…so they kinda did something like that, for the obligatory pictures beforehand they got a cardboard cut out of a Power Ranger with a picture of his head taped to it.

3. schoolchoice2011 - May 2, 2012 at 9:24 AM

This was a really cute story

4. deathmonkey41 - May 2, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Pretty soon the same thing will be will be happening all over New Jersey. But instead of a teenage girls, it will be middle-aged men, and instead of a prom, it will be reststops along the Jersey turnpike, and instead of cutouts, it will be the real thing. He’s gay people!

• winkeroni - May 2, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Even if Tebow were gay, which I’m not saying he is, it wouldn’t make him a prostitute.

• deathmonkey41 - May 2, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I guess you haven’t read up on what takes place at those rest stops- it’s not prostitution- it’s a place for men leading double lives to meet and do the nasty.

• unfortunatelyavikingsfan - May 2, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess you were tailpiped somewhere along the Jersey turnpike, right?