May 1, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
‘Tis the season for random high school seniors to ask celebrities to their prom. Some, like Jeremy Lin, can’t make it, so they send a video. Others accept. Tim Tebow is apparently too busy to even say no. When Rachel Bird, a senior at Kingsley-Pierson High School in Iowa, tweeted Tebow and asked if he’d be her prom date, she got no response. So she did what any girl would do — she got a life-sized cardboard cutout of Tebow and took that to the prom.
“He was a cheap date, and he didn’t talk much,” Bird joked. “And when I asked him to stand in a corner, he did. I don’t think it even hurt his feelings.”
Response? Cardboard Tebow was a huge hit.
Everyone laughed when Rachel Bird showed up at friend DeAndra Mahrt’s home for pre-prom pictures. Her classmates HAD to include Tebow in group photos.
Classmates convinced Bird to enter the gym as a “couple” at the grand march. She decided to do it. Announcer Scott Bahrke introduced her last. “Rachel Bird,” Bahrke said. “Escorted by Tim Tebow.”
“It was awkward, but people asked me to stop for photos during the grand march,” she said. “Believe me, this isn’t something I ever thought I’d be doing.”
Her only regret?
“I should have made a dress out of Jets jerseys,” she said. “But I didn’t have time.”
Iowa girl has cardboard cutout of Tim Tebow serve as her prom date [Sportress of Blogitude]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found