May 1, 2012, 3:29 PM EDT
Alternate headline: An Inconvenient Goof. As you’ve probably heard by now, Fox baseball broadcaster Tim McCarver raised a few eyebrows with his latest scientific theory during the Brewers-Cardinals broadcast on Saturday. There is an increase in home runs, said McCarver, because of global warming.
“It has not been proven, but I think ultimately it will be proven that the air is thinner now, there has been climactic changes over the last 50 years in the world and I think that’s one of the reasons that balls are carrying much better now than I remember,” he said.
“You know, the ball that Ramirez hit out and the ball Freese hit out, I didn’t think either one was going to be a home run, yet they made it.”
I’ll agree that the air is thinner — in McCarver’s head.
Anyway, this has caused quite a stir, in a cockeyed Jose Canseco, Karl Pilkington, Cosmo Kramer sort of way. The reaction on social media has bee rather amusing, but now an actual climatologist is adding his views.
Michael Mann, Penn State climatologist and author of “The Hockey Stick and the Climate Wars,” didn’t put much stock into McCarver’s link between climate change and baseballs carrying farther. In fact, he believes in the opposite theory.
“If anything, anthropogenic carbon emissions and global warming should make the atmosphere slightly heavier, because we’re taking carbon that was trapped in the solid earth and releasing to the atmosphere (in the form of CO2), and a warmer atmosphere will hold more water vapor. Both CO2 and water vapor contribute (slightly) to the mass of the atmosphere,” Mann told Peter Dykstra of DailyCimate.org.
Meanwhile, on Twitter:
Tim McCarver just implied that baserunners take their cues from crowd noise.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: Craig Adams lays out Spezza in OT
- Play Video: Highlights: Senators win double overtime thriller
- Play Video: Boychuk gives Bruins lead in Game 2
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: Marchand strikes again