May 1, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Bryce Harper’s home debut in Washington D.C. was actually a softball game at the Washington Mall. And Steven Marcus, a 34-year old gift planning officer, can say he threw one by the heralded rookie. In the video below, you’ll see Harper step in for a few cuts in a game between the World Wildlife Fund Fighting Pandas and the Alliance to Save Energy Killer Watts on Monday. (The Washington Post has a nice account of the action here, and here). He let two pitches go by, and took an awkward swing-and-miss at another. On his final cut, he sent a ball deep down the right-field line (hard to see exactly where it went).
If you read somewhere tonight or Wednesday that Harper has an upper-body injury, we know what happened. That whiff looks like it could have been painful.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found