Apr 30, 2012, 1:12 PM EDT
Forget the NFL Draft — the big selection ceremony came this morning in Rio de Janiero, where they drew the 2012 Olympic men’s and women’s basketball groups. Pictured is FIBA Sports Director Lubomir Kotleba (settle down, girls!), for some reason smelling the lottery ball which indicates that the U.S. is in Group A. Bingo! That means we’ll be taking on Argentina, France, Tunisia and two mystery teams, which will be chosen via the 12-team FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament (OQT) in Caracas, Ven., July. 2-8.
Group A: Argentina, France, Tunisia, USA, OQT 1, OQT 2
Group B: Australia, Brazil, China, Great Britain, Spain, OQT 3
Following that, Women’s Olympic Basketball Tournament groups went like this:
Group A: Angola, China, USA, OQT 1, OQT 2, OQT 4
Group B: Australia, Brazil, Great Britain, Russia, OQT 3, OQT 5
Jerry Colangelo and head coach Mike Krzyzewski have 12 roster spots for the pool of 20 players they have now (there will also be six alternates). A spot opened up, one assumes, following the injury to the Bulls’ Derrick Rose. Colangelo says he wants to announce the final roster by June 1.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found