Chicago Sun-Times sports columnist Joe Cowley rips airline crew on Twitter, makes sexist remarks towards female pilot
Apr 29, 2012, 3:24 PM EDT
Every now and then, someone in the sports world gets in trouble for posting something pretty stupid on Twitter and Chicago Sun-Times columnist Joe Cowley is the latest person to not think before he tweets.
Cowley was flying back to Chicago when a “mandatory crew rest” delay drew the ire of Cowley and started an epic Twitter rant that got sexist and racist in less than an hour:
Flight delayed because of “Mandatory Crew Rest.” God forbid anyone strains themselves handing out orange juice off a cart for an extra hour.
I’m more likely to see a Squatch before I see a hot flight attendant. Then again, I think the airlines are hiring Squatch’s to do that job.
Chick pilot. Should I be OK with that or am I just a sexist caveman?
Kid next to me looks like “Short Round.” Think I’ll give him a dollar to say to me, “You cheat, Dr. Jones!” #firstclassproblems
So after those verbal gems, WCJW reporter Sloane Martin called him out on those comments and the man who dubs himself as “Mr. Handsome” decided to make more offensive comments about women and Martin herself:
@SloaneMartin I have a feeling Sloane is the next unfollow. But it’s a fact women followers stay attached to me longer. #MrHandsomeproblems
@SloaneMartin By the way Sloane, the chick pilot did good … Even though she had to come back and ask for directions twice…. Although something tells me she knew where she was going … Just more Mr. Handsome problems!
@cst_Cowley that was just the classy and unapologetic response I expected from you. Guess I’m an outlier b/c I only made it through 3 days
@SloaneMartin Three days? Not bad. And we didn’t even get to debate what a joke Title IX is… Another time … You’ll be back. #cantquitme….And when you come back, hottie up that pic a bit more. You look like the Russian icy villain from a 70s Bond movie. XOXO.
After those comments, Cowley’s Twitter has since been deleted.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- NBA: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: I'll Have Another wins the Preakness
- Play Video: Gary Stevens wins third Preakness
- Play Video: Shackleford holds off Animal Kingdom
- Play Video: Lukas: 'I get paid to spoil dreams'
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks