Apr 27, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
If you’re like me, you find it endlessly entertaining that the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft had to borrow a bike recently because his — which is his main mode of transportation — was broken. It had no brakes, and Andrew Luck said that he had to wear boots in order to stop it, Fred Flinstone-style.
“It was so bad — no brakes,” he says. “I was glad I was wearing boots, because they had nice soles that I could sorta use to slide-stop.”
He’s not sleeping on his brother’s sofa, al la Jeremy Lin — but in a lot of ways Luck is an even bigger nerd, and I mean that in a good way. He has two modes of transportation at Stanford — a Honda Accord which he shares with his sister (Mary Ellen Luck is a sophomore on the Cardinal volleyball team) and the borrowed bike. His cell phone of choice is a retro flip phone model he bought for $10. And if you think that makes it difficult to post on Twitter or Facebook, you’re right — he has neither of those things. The architectural design major has a 3.48 GPA, and loves Bananagram and Legos.
You may have been treated to Luck’s grounded, aw-shucks demeanor on the Late Show with David Letterman last night, but be aware that it’s no act. (My favorite part was when Letterman asked if he might develop a signature move like Tebowing, and Luck rolled his eyes and said no). But my favorite Luck quote is from USA Today:
“I realize I’m very fortunate to hopefully make a lot of money playing football,” he says. “I don’t know if I want to abuse that privilege and make myself a larger figure than I am. I don’t know how to make sense of this … (of) not getting too full of myself, realizing that I’m human.
“It is still a game. You’re not saving lives or curing cancer. You are providing entertainment. Maybe you can make someone’s week.”
It’s now scientifically impossible not to root for Andrew Luck.
And now the best quote about Luck, from Stanford football coach David Shaw:
“My wife tells me, ‘I want to spend time with his mother to know how in the world she created this kid,’ “
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights