Apr 24, 2012, 12:17 PM EDT
Well, this is odd: In a recent poll, 26 percent of Florida residents say that George Zimmerman is innocent of second-degree murder in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin. Know that for a fact, do you folks? Seems to me the “not sure” box is just begging to be checked on that survey. But this is odder still: that’s 10 percent more Florida residents than support the Tampa Bay Rays. And even fewer support the Miami Marlins.
Public Policy Polling reports only 16 percent of Floridians support the Tampa Bay Rays and even less, just 15 percent claim to be fans of the Miami Marlins.
Despite not being very popular, both teams have seen attendance go up this season. The Rays are averaging 29,268 fans, good for 17th in MLB 2012 attendance. With a new ballpark, the Marlins are only 15th in attendance with 29,442 fans per game.
That’s actually a huge jump for the Marlins, who averaged 19,007 in 2011 in their old stadium, which was 28th in MLB.
The news is even worse for Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen.
Ozzie Guillen, the outspoken manager of the Marlins, isn’t very popular either. Just 7 percent of those responding had a favorable opinion of the skipper, while 39 percent said his recent comments about Fidel Castro were inappropriate.
A total of 700 Florida voters were surveyed by Public Policy Polling for the data that has a margin of error of +/- 3.7 percent.
Looking for someone who is less liked than the Marlins? You’re in luck:
Q1 Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Fidel Castro?
Unfavorable …..86 percent
Not sure ……..10 percent
Not sure, 10 percent? He’s been there for 53 years. How much more time do you need to make up your mind?
Zimmerman More Supported Than Marlins, Rays [The Dish]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car