Apr 23, 2012, 1:19 PM EDT
How do you fight back against an Internet stalker? If you’re German Olympic hopeful Ariane Friedrich, you post his name and address on your Facebook page. Hey, he’s getting off easy — she had a lot more she could have posted.
Friedrich, a German high-jump record holder from Frankfurt, was being bothered by some creep who had sent her photos of his genitals in an email. So she took matters into her own hands — so to speak! — and shamed the guy online. Oh, and if you’re a creepy stalker, it’s probably not a good idea to choose a victim who’s a former police officer.
“I’ve been offended in the past, sexually harassed and I’ve had a stalker before,” wrote Friedrich on Saturday on her Facebook page, where she posted the name and email address of the man who sent her a photo of his genitals in an email.
“It’s time to act, it’s time to defend myself. And that’s what I’m doing. No more and no less,” wrote the 28-year-old German high-jump record holder from Frankfurt.
Friedrich, who is currently preparing for the 2012 Olympic Games in London, said she is planning to bring charges against the man who sent her the indecent email.
Publishing the man’s name, email and home address was a big step, admitted Friedrich, who is a police officer by profession. Still, she said, it isn’t the first time she’s received a “brazen” email like that from a fan.
Going public, she said, was “a way of making clear that I am prepared to act.” The athelete received a large amount of encouragement from her fans on her Facebook page for her “brave” act.
But Friedrich has received some criticism for her actions.
Other users criticised the decision, comparing those who supported it to the Facebook bullies who had called for the lynching of a falsely accused suspect in the recent case of a murdered young girl.
Just retribution, or vigilante technology? You be the judge.
Athlete names and shames stalker online [The Local]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?