Acura apologizes for Super Bowl commercial casting call: wanted African-American actor who was ‘not too dark’
Apr 18, 2012, 1:05 PM EDT
It was one of the best Super Bowl commercials, and now it’s spawned a pretty big controversy. Acura is in damage control right now, after a casting sheet for its commercial for Super Bowl XLVI leaked, revealing a call for a “nice looking, friendly” African-American actor who is “not too dark.” Oops. See the video below. London Daily Mail:
The document, obtained by TMZ, reveals they were looking for a ‘nice looking, friendly’ actor to take the role.
As can be expected, one man who was told that he did not fit that description was upset by the criteria.
On Wednesday afternoon the company put out a statement apologizing to anyone that was offended by their choice of words.
‘We sought to cast an African-American in a prominent role in the commercial, and we made our selection based on the fact that he was the most talented actor,’ the statement read.
‘The casting sheet was only now brought to our attention. We are taking appropriate measures to ensure that such language is not used again in association with any work performed on behalf of our brand.’
The commercial, of course, features Jerry Seinfeld bargaining with another customer to obtain the first Acura NSX. It featured the return of the Soup Nazi (no complaints about that name, ironically), and the diner from Seinfeld … plus a cameo by Jay Leno in a rocket suit.
No word on any outrage from the Ferris Bueller commercial.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final