Apr 15, 2012, 6:11 PM EDT
Soccer star David Beckham in recent memory might be better known for his underwear-modeling career than his play for the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer. However, Beckham received a huge honor by getting the opportunity of gracing the cover of one of the most popular United Kingdom fashion magazines around.
In July, Beckham will be appearing on the cover of UK’s Elle magazine making him the first solo male to appear on the cover in the magazine’s seventeen-year history:
“David Beckham is a national hero, so we saw an opportunity to shoot a celebratory cover to support a historical and patriotic year,” says Elle UK’s Editor-in-Chief Lorraine Candy. “He is an icon and ELLE is known for featuring icons on its cover. This is a first for us on the newsstand and I believe he is loved by men and women alike.”
So, what does Beckham think of being the first male to grace the cover of a women’s fashion magazine?
“ELLE is a prestigious magazine with international recognition. ‘I’m honoured to have been asked to be the first ever solo male fashion cover,” said Beckham.
Beckham’s solo Elle cover will be released to the public on May 30th.
Beckham to grace Elle cover [Metro UK]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found