Apr 12, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
The bad news is that there will be no Lingerie Football League in the U.S. this year: spokesman Jim Wallin said today that the league will resume playing in April 2013 on a spring-summer playing schedule. According to the Associated Press, the hiatus will allow the league to expand the sport abroad and refocus as a warm-weather game.
Um, don’t they play indoors, in panties? It’s not like they’re playing at Soldier Field in the snow.
Anyway, there’s still some good news. LFL Canada is ready to go, and will begin playing games this fall. Plus, U.S. players will participate in a promotional “All Fantasy Tour”, which will start in Mexico City next month, followed by dates in Sydney and Brisbane, Australia, and possibly cities in Asia later in the year. The LFL has announced that it will try and start an Australian league in 2013.
This isn’t totally unexpected, as the U.S. LFL moved back its 2011 season to the fall to try and take advantage of the NFL work stoppage. Starting it up again just a few months later was probably a little more than the structure of the league could bear.
LFL Canada will have four teams, each which will play an eight-game schedule. The BC Angels, based in Vancouver, will be joined by the Toronto Triumph, which moves over from the U.S. LFL. Two expansion franchises, in Saskatoon and Regina, Saskatchewan, round out the league.
No, sadly, there is no LFL team in Canada named the Beavers. Even though this is available as a mascot.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found