Apr 5, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
So Alec Baldwin and and John Krasinski have hung up their cleats, ending a series of commercials for New Era that will be hard to top. Stepping in for them this season are Nick Offerman, who portrays Ron Swanson from Parks & Recreation, and Craig Robinson, who plays Darryl Philbin on The Office. And the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry is replaced with Chicago’s Cubs-White Sox divide, with Robinson as the dedicated Sox fan, and Philbin as the die-hard Cubs guy. New Era release:
In the spots, which were written and produced by Gifted Youth, a new commercial production company formed by Funny Or Die, Robinson, who grew up on the south side of Chicago as a serious White Sox fan, and Offerman, a passionate Cubs fans from Minooka, IL, exchange some friendly back and forth trash-talking about each other’s teams.
Let’s watch the first installment.
Darryl obviously goes too far when he says that you can’t get a decent pizza north of Division Street, and apologizes after an awkward silence.
The spot is tremendous, but these two simply don’t have the range of Jim from The Office and Jack Donaghy from 30 Rock. The Cubs-White Sox commercials will be an epic slugfest between two deadpan specialists. That’s OK, but it may get old before the season is over.
Chicago vs. Chicago: Round 1 [Funny or Die]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found