Apr 3, 2012, 12:53 PM EDT
Nike rolled out its new Elite 51 NFL uniforms earlier today — they took over as official NFL outfitter from Reebok — and there are no real changes in design to report: with the exception of one team. The Seattle Seahawks got a rather dramatic design makeover: as if Edna Mole from The Incredibles was put in charge of one team (as you can see, no cape). The Seahawks are going back to blue, although a darker shade; there are now stripes (including on the pants, to honor the 12th Man), and the helmet logo has been altered a bit. Here are some better looks.
Other team designs remained pretty much unchanged, with most of the difference coming in the fabric itself. USA Today:
The Nike Elite 51 unis are more evolutionary than revolutionary, revolving around lighter fabrics, a more contoured fit and four-way stretch materials rather than big changes in the visual, graphic look. Plus, the NFL’s conservative team owners had final say under guidelines set by the league.
Victor Cruz of the Super Bowl champion New York Giants said the new unis are sleeker and more form-fitting which should help him elude tacklers better.
The unis “conform and fit your body,” said Cruz. “They’re tight. You can’t get pulled or snagged on. That’s the biggest thing for me: making sure that I’m sleek and I’m fast and I can’t be grabbed or held.”
Note: May not apply to Eli Manning.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found