Mar 30, 2012, 9:00 AM EST
How great is it having Mike Leach back in coaching? This great (holds hands apart approximately as wide as buffalo’s head). Leach, the new football coach at Washington State, was on the radio with Jim Moore and Kevin Calabro of 710 ESPN Seattle recently, when something wonderful happened: following a rather boring rundown of what’s been going on with his team, he began an elaborate breakdown of all the Pac-12 mascots. The question came completely out of left field, and Leach grabbed it and ran with it, like a cougar chasing an elk. And it was glorious.
Jim Moore: “In a battle to the death among Pac-12 mascots, which animal or person wins?”
Mike Leach: “The Cougar absolutely. Let’s go through this a little bit. A cougar obviously kills a duck and a beaver. A cougar against a husky … that’s pretty well a massacre. A cardinal or whatever: I don’t know exactly what a cougar would either climb it or I wouldn’t want to think of what else he’d do on it. Now Golden Bears could be kinda tough. I think you’d want to be a little fast and loose with them. You don’t want to get caught by that bear. The Ute … you gotta dodge some arrowheads, but I still like the Cougar. Buffalo … I think the buffalo would be pretty tough to beat. Wildcat: Cougars are bigger than wildcats . Sun Devils, that’s mythical anyway. Trojans, they may be as well. I think you gotta look out for the Bruins and the Buffalo. The Golden Bear, Bruin and Buffalo .. I think those are the tough ones.”
Moore: “Why the Buffalo?”
Leach: “Do you want to fight a buffalo? I don’t know, those buffalo are big. You know, buffalo are significantly bigger than elk. I grew up near Yellowstone so I’ve been near buffalo. Buffalo are huge. And then the other thing I’ve always gotten a kick out of: When you play Colorado, there’s those buffalo dragging those six handler around. Those handlers aren’t dragging the buffalo. The buffalo’s dragging him.
“Ralphie’s not even a big buffalo. Ralphie pulls those people wherever he wants to.”
Personally, I’m not sure how any of these mascots beats a tree. Stanford wins. But ultimately WSU wins, because they have Mike Leach.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
What you missed while enjoying a brew down at the local pub …
- Here’s your Pakistani MMA ninja knockout of the week.
- The stars of the 2011 Final Four: where are they now?
- Funny commercial starring Spurs’ Tony Parker. Common guys, he saves a puppy!
- The minivan racing season starts soon. Soccer moms, start your engines!
Meanwhile, Minnesota …
Wild’s Tom Gilbert gets stick stuck in earhole of his helmet in game vs. Panthers. Video here.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found