Mar 28, 2012, 5:33 PM EDT
John Chubb, better known to Ohio State fans as Buck-I-Guy, says he’s lucky to be alive following a run-in with a turkey on March 17. Chubb, who is known for his flamboyant costume which he wears at Buckeye sporting events, was returning from Ohio State’s NCAA tournament men’s basketball game with Gonzaga with a friend, Lonnie Poindexter, when a large bird crashed through the windshield and caused his car to crash. Luckily, Poindexter is a firefighter, and knows what to do in emergency situations.
At the time of the accident, he was driving on I-70 near St. Clairsville in eastern Ohio.
Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the bird — he thinks it was a turkey vulture or wild turkey — come out from behind a guardrail.
“I said, ‘Look at that big…’ and I couldn’t get out the word bird,” Chubb said last night from his home on the Northeast Side.
The bird flew into the path of his car, crashed through the windshield, hitting Chubb in the face and spraying glass and feathers everywhere.
That’s when Poindexter took over.
“John was knocked out, and he had his foot on the accelerator,” Poindexter said.
Poindexter grabbed the steering wheel and turned off the ignition. The car struck the guardrail, hit the concrete divider and spun around.
When the car came to rest, Chubb revived. Both men were treated at Wheeling Hospital across the Ohio River in Wheeling, W.Va.
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly higher.
No word on whether the car involved was Chubb’s beloved Buck-I-Guy Mobile.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found