Mar 27, 2012, 5:09 PM EDT
Hank Haney just got off the air with Dan Patrick on his simulcast, having spent a majority of the interview defending the tell-all nature of his new book about Tiger Woods, The Big Miss. Patrick, the master of asking the tough question without alienating the subject, did a good job once again. One interesting note came when Patrick asked Haney if he thought that Tiger has read the book.
“Of course he’ll say he didn’t, but I know he did,” Haney said. “Tiger reads everything.”
The implication being that Woods is as narcissistic and self-centered as they come, which, said Haney, is one of the reasons he’s a great golfer. When pinned down as to whether that also makes Tiger a bad person away from the course, Haney said: “I could see how some people would make that conclusion.”
As for the book itself, Business Insider gave it a read today, and here are some more factoids:
Tiger befriended an unnamed ex-SEAL and hired him as a bodyguard. Haney said Tiger’s ex-caddie Steve Williams thought the guy was “weird,” and they didn’t like his influence on Tiger. The guy also allegedly told Williams that Tiger’s dead father Earl was “speaking to him on a regular basis and giving him instructions on how to help tiger.”
Tiger went on six SEAL excursions in 2007. He came back from one trip to a Kill House with an enormous bruise from getting shot in the thigh with a rubber bullet. Another three-day trip involved jumping out of a plane up to 10 times a day.
Tiger claims he can hold his breath for four minutes using a “lung packing” technique.
On charges by some that his book is gossipy and exploitative, Haney told Patrick that “no one who’s read it in its entirety” has criticized the contents. The only complaints, Haney said, have been from those who have only read excerpts.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights