Mar 26, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Is it just me, or does Charles Barkley appear to have taken an enormous amount of cold medicine right before he goes on the air during the NCAA basketball tournament? I usually don;t pay attention to what he’s saying, because I’m watching to see whether he’ll fall asleep in mid-sentence.
But on Sunday I was listening as Barkley said this following Kentucky’s win over Baylor to reach the Final Four. Barkley on Kentucky:
“Nobody can beat this team. The Toronto Raptors can’t, the Bobcats maybe. But there’s nobody in this NCAA tournament that can beat this team.”
Rather than try to decode the quote and figure out why Charles doesn’t like the Raptors (who actually have a better record than the Bobcats), let’s just say that he’s at the point in his career where he’s not even really listening to himself.
Has even Barkley wearied of Barkley? I just checked the player list for the American Century Championship celebrity golf tournament at Lake Tahoe, and Charles hasn’t yet accepted his customary spot there, where’s he’s been a fixture for more than a decade. I’m starting to get concerned.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
What you missed while wondering if Hitler rinsed and repeated …
- DJ Rony Seikaly taking over Miami one nightclub at a time.
- Lingerie Football League president gets trampled by one of the players during tryouts.
- A South African cricket player was sent to the hospital after being hit in the groin with the cricket ball during a test match with New Zealand. Please make up your own joke, using one or more of the following cricket terms: wicket, all-rounder, bang it in, dibbly dobby, breaking the wicket, no-ball, dink, popper, stump, sweep spot.
- “Minor League Guy on third” is the kind of nickname that could catch on.
Meanwhile, in Mexico City …
Needs five backup cardinals with guitar and brass section.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found