Mar 21, 2012, 9:00 AM EST
You probably knew this because of your big NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament office pool (I really worry about you sometimes), but in case you missed it, Brittney Griner threw down a dunk on Tuesday. This makes the 6-foot-8 Baylor center the second woman to dunk in an NCAA tournament game, as the Bears beat Florida State 76-57.
“I think she’s gotten away from trying to be monstrous with her going to the rim,” Baylor coach Kim Mulkey said. “I told her about two weeks ago — I said: ‘Even if you miss it, it sends a message.’”
Odyssey Sims had 14 points as Baylor improved to 36-0. They probably should have been seeded into the men’s tournament over Cal.
The last woman to dunk in an NCAA tournament game? Candace Parker of Tennessee did it twice against Army in 2006. It was the sixth dunk of Griner’s career.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
What you missed while going on a crime spree dressed as a penguin …
- Italian racehorse has won 19 races and nearly 100,000 euros despite being blind.
- Jeremy Lin’s favorite rapper is Lecrae. So stop asking.
- Ray Lewis III, the son of the Ravens’ linebacker, commits to the University Miami.
Meanwhile, on Late Night With Conan O’Brien …
No, you didn’t dream that. Shaq really was a guest on miniature set night.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found