Mar 20, 2012, 1:22 PM EDT
It happened during Southern Mississippi’s first-round game with Kansas State in the NCAA men’s basketball tournament, and was caught on video, which soon was everywhere. As K-State’s Angel Rodriguez went to the free throw line, some members of the Southern Miss band could be heard chanting “Where’s your green card?” Rodriguez is of Puerto Rican descent.
Aside from being woefully ignorant of civics and geography (Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory, and therefore a green card isn’t necessary), those band members — it was determined that five were involved — have been kicked out of the band and have lost their scholarships. Slide trombone: Waa waaaaa.
In a statement, the university said the five had their pep band scholarships revoked, were removed from the band and will be required to complete a two-hour cultural sensitivity training course this week.
The names of the students were not released.
“The students have been forthcoming, cooperative, contrite and sincerely remorseful,” USM Vice President for Student Affairs Joe Paul said in a statement. “They acted rashly and inappropriately, and now see the gravity of their words and actions.”
New chant: ‘Stu-dent loan!’
To the university’s credit, the administration acted quickly and decisively on this: president Martha Saunders issued a statement the following day condemning the chant, and started an investigation to find exactly who was responsible. Seems to me to be kind of a needle-in-the-haystack thing, but they got results. I wonder if it was the tuba section? We’ll never know.
Five lose scholarships over USM pep band incident [Hattiesburg American]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP