Mar 19, 2012, 2:22 PM EDT
Meet the youngest and the oldest London 2012 Olympic torch relay runners: Dominic John MacGowan, right, aged 11, from Birmingham, England, and Dinah Gould, aged 99, from Harrow, London. Gould, whose birthday is in May, will be 100 by the time the torch relay gets underway, and 101 by the time she’s finished her 300 meters (sorry, that last part’s not funny).
Seven hundred more torchbearers, including celebrities, are due to be announced at a later date with the relay starting on May 19 and travelling 8,000 miles around the country before the opening ceremony at the Olympic Stadium on July 27.
About 7,300 torch bearers will take 70 days and travel through Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and England, some aided by boat, cable car, hot air balloon, bicycle, motorbike and horseback. If one of the torch bearers is from the Ministry of Silly Walks, that would rule.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch Live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Phelps denies comeback rumors
- LIVE: Third round of the HP Byron Nelson Championship
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas