Mar 19, 2012, 9:00 AM EST
Fun fact: Marlins Executive VP for Ballpark Development Claude Delorme said that the new fish tanks that line the backstop area at Marlins Park were tested by having Marlins first-baseman Gaby Sanchez wing baseballs at them. He was clocked at 84 mph, and no, they didn’t break. But still, some animal activists are asking, why place fish in an environment where fish don’t belong?
But even if the 100 fish inside the tanks are sure to stay wet, activists have another concern. “I can tell you even if the glass doesn’t shatter, [stadium noise is] going to cause a tremendous vibration and disturb and upset the fish,” Animal Rights Foundation of Florida spokesman Don Anthony told the local press. “Fish are not a decoration.”
To minimize vibrations from a stadium full of rowdy fans, the temperature-controlled aquariums are suspended on a flexible material called neoprene, but activists think that isn’t sufficient. “No matter how many shock absorbers they build into the system, if there are thousands of fans screaming and jumping during a sporting event it’s going to affect the fish in there,” Anthony said.
Mat Roy of Ft. Lauderdale-based Living Color Aquariums, which made the tanks, said “We’ve taken every precaution. All that we can do is show that over the test of time, these animals are doing just fine.”
Whether this is animal abuse or not, the fact remains that these aquariums seem like something a millionaire drug kingpin would have in his lair … or what future Biff would have in his living room in Back to the Future II.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
What you missed while taking a day off from school for a trip …
- Blake Griffin causes major food and beverage spill at the Clippers game.
- And now for your amusement, here’s Brandon Lloyd and his Tom Brady puppet announcing his move to the Patriots.
- The Cubs are somehow already mathematically eliminated in the NL Central.
Meanwhile, on Twitter:
The real loser in this fight is the English language.
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
After being found by a blind dog, crooks surrender to TV crew. Worst Crooks Ever.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found