Hong Kong police arrest 10-year-old English soccer player for kicking Chinese player in the head (video)
Mar 19, 2012, 7:35 PM EDT
In the U.S. we don’t go arresting 10-year-olds for soccer violence, although maybe we should. I’m not sure. But in Hong Kong, they look at things differently. It’s the followup to the story we brought you on Wednesday of last week, when a youth soccer match turned ugly and one player, from the ESF (English Schools Foundation) Lions team, was captured on video kicking a 12-year-old playing for Kitchee Escola team in the head during a match. According to reports, it was a rematch of a previous friendly that the Kitchee team had won 16-0.
On Monday the 10-year-old ESF player was arrested, and then released on bail.
At about the 1:30 mark in the video below, you’ll see the Kitchee player, who appears to be ethnically Chinese, make a bad tackle. While thaht player is on the ground, the ESF Lions player, who appears to be Caucasian, ignores the nearby ball and instead kicks the Kitchee kid in the head. London Daily Telegraph:
While the older boy did not suffer a serious injury, his parents filed a police complaint. On Monday, the ten-year-old was released on bail.
“I understand that the parent of the injured child has referred the matter to the police and we will cooperate fully with any police investigation,” said the head of Hong Kong’s English Schools Foundation (ESF) in a letter to parents.
There was already somewhat of a controversy over ESF in Hong Kong, as the government continues to subsidize the school despite it being one of the largest schools for foreign students on the island. The ESF Lions is made up mostly of Caucasian players, who many parents are calling “white bullies” following the incident.
Hong Kong child arrested after sickening football pitch kick [The Telegraph]
Is that the soccer ball, or your face? U-12 game turns ugly (video) [Off the Bench]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona