Mar 15, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Yes, it runs contrary to what college is supposed to be about: not only are the student-athletes taking three weeks off from school, but you are also getting no work done. The NCAA Div. I Basketball Tournament, however, is here to stay. Have you completed your bracket? Bragging rights in your office pool are at stake. If you haven’t already, get those picks in right now … you should know that in the history of NCAA tournament office pools, no one who has turned in his bracket at 11:59 a.m. ET has ever won.*
Need some helping making those last-minute picks? Deuce of Davenport comes back from the dead for one day only with A Complete Idiot’s Guide to Round 1 of the 2012 NCAA Tournament, which should be
of no help at all very enlightening. Excerpt:
7 Notre Dame v. 10 Xavier: As I mentioned last year, I have issues with both of these teams. And this is a lot closer than one would think because the Golden Domers have been absolutely horrific in football and terrible chokers in basketball. Nonetheless, I flashback to my private elementary school days and being the only non-Irish schmuck in the joint and hating every minute of it. Xavier
Rob Dauster of NBC Sports offers advice on key games, plus his pick to win it all, here. You should also join the NBC Sports It’s Madness Bracket Challenge if you have not already done so. All the cool kids are there.
If you’d like President Obama to take the helm for your personal NCAA Tournament financial recovery, his bracket can be found here. Have a love for schools in the swing states? Then this is your best bet. Plus he’s got North Carolina winning it all, and pinning all your hopes on Roy Williams is always good for a laugh.
Here’s the Chicago Tribune’s Help for the Bracket-Challenged, which includes terms like “Going Chalk” and “John Henson’s Healing Wrist.” Bleacher Report has 5 Guarantees to Help You Embarrass Your Friends, which I assume is about the tournament. The Sporting News urges you to Follow the First-Round Trends, and Midwest Sports Fans also has some helpful advice.
And here’s a video about a guy’s wife explaining the logic behind her NCAA picks. Example: She picked Indiana over New Mexico State because she lived in New Mexico once and didn’t like it. “But then I felt really bad for them, so I picked New Mexico over Long Beach State over here.” She of course will win her pool.
My advice? Just remember three words: You are doomed. You can study this puppy all you want, but so many things can go wrong in a 68-team tournament that it’s not worth the effort to go all Rain Man on it. If you have a passing knowledge of the teams, just use The Force when filling out your brackets, and have fun. Almost game time, folks. Tell your boss you’ll see him again in three weeks.
* = May not be accurate.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
What you missed when you finally ran out of time …
- Dwyane Wade’s dad ejected from United Center for using profanity during Heat-Bulls game.
Meanwhile, in Taiwan …
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months
- Play Video: Spurs take a commanding 2-0 lead
- Play Video: Vikings enhance home-field advantage
- Play Video: An early whistle takes goal away from Kings
- Play Video: Kerr: LeBron vs. Jordan comes down to rings
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks even series with Kings
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe