Mar 12, 2012, 12:19 PM EDT
Actually exact sequence of events is: Takeru Kobayashi had lunch wit the Packers’ Greg Jennings on Saturday, then gobbled 13 grilled cheese sandwiches on Sunday at South-by-Southwest Interactive in Austin, which they’re saying is a world record. It beat the previous record of four, set by GroupMe employees and onlookers a few minutes earlier. Wait, four? I’m pretty sure I’ve seen that at Denny’s on any given Saturday night.
Say what you will about Kobayashi, but he’s become the face and mouth of competitive eating. He’s toured the nation setting records in just about every category since being banned from the Famous Nathan’s Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest in 2010 following a contract dispute with Competitive Eating. Last month he set the record for chicken wing consumption with 337 wings in 30 seconds at Philadelphia’s Wing Bowl.
Jennings was at SXSW speaking at a couple of panels, including one on fantasy football, where he admitted that NFL players indeed take that stuff seriously. Jennings and Kobayashi both signed a menu and Kobayashi is giving it away on his Facebook page.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness