Mar 9, 2012, 10:09 AM EDT
Who among us has not been driven home at 2 a.m. by an attractive LPGA golfer who was allegedly a bit pickled? Let him throw the first stone, or martini olive. Eddie George is challenging your filthy assumptions today, a handful of hours after Connor was nabbed for DUI by police, with George in the passenger seat (Eddie was not arrested). Connor “was simply being nice and offering me a ride” said George, who has been married to singer Tamara Johnson since 2004, to TMZ today. “We realized that Rachel lived the closest to where I was staying, so she offered to drop me off.”
(Skeptical Parrot squawks, spits seed in cup).
It happened in the wee hours of the morning on Wednesday, after both George (former Ohio State, Tennessee Titans running back) and Connor (LPGA Futures Tour, member of England’s National Team) had attended the Archie Griffin Celebrity Golf Classic on Tuesday. Connor, with George in the passenger seat, was pulled over by police in Sarasota County, Fla., at 2 a.m. on Thursday. She failed a field sobriety test and registered blood alcohol levels of .133 and .137 on the breathalyzer, which is about .129 over par.
Earlier in the evening, Connor had tweeted this photo of her with George from the tournament reception. George’s statement to TMZ:
“As part of a two-day charity golf event, a group of us who had played together on Tuesday celebrated at dinner. The group included Rachel Connor.
“After dinner, as everyone left the restaurant together, we realized that Rachel lived the closest to where I was staying. So she offered to drop me off. I believed her to be competent to drive and not impaired at all. We were stooped shortly after we left.
“At first, I hestitated to respond to this story. But I now see that people are willing to think the worst. So my wife, Tamara, and I believe we have to address this.
“Rachel Connor was simply trying to be nice by offering me a ride. No one in our group felt she was impaired or we all would have stopped her from driving.”
Of course George’s story
has more holes than the Washington Generals’ defense makes perfect sense to me. How about you? TMZ is skeptical.
George was wrong … allegedly. As TMZ first reported, cops believe Connor was HAMMERED … because she could barely walk, couldn’t count and reeked of booze.
Well, as the old saying goes, if you and a friend are being chased by a bear, it’s not necessary to be faster than the bear — you just have to be faster than your friend. Same goes here. Eddie George doesn’t have to convince us — he just has to make sure his wife buys it.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead