Feb 29, 2012, 5:43 PM EDT
Hard to imagine a worse-case PR scenario for the German Soccer Federation than this: a group of German fans taunted Kaiserslautern striker Itay Schechter, who is from Israel, with Nazi salutes during a team practice on Sunday. Kaiserslautern is in the German Bundesliga League, where it is next to last in the standings.
Reports differ as to the number of fans who participated in the abuse — estimates range from five to 10 — but the incident was reported to German police by the club. Far from being just politically incorrect, flashing Nazi gestures or symbols is actually against the law in Germany. And dierceting them toward a Jewish player? Oh, man. Jerusalem Post:
Shechter did not notice the incident, but Kaiserslautern informed the police and is looking for witnesses. “There is no place for racism at Kaiserslautern. We will make sure that these guys are punished,” Kaiserslautern president Stefan Kuntz said.
“They are members of the hooligan scene who have been previously convicted and serve stadium bans,” spokesman Christian Gruber added.
The club’s official fan group has apologized for the situation. The club says fewer than 10 fans were involved and belonged to a hooligan group banned from games.
The Israeli embassy in Berlin also condemned the attack and said it was “appalled.”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PFT: Chad Johnson arrested for probation violation
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong
- Play Video: Is Cabrera one of the greatest of all time?
- Play Video: Craig Adams lays out Spezza in OT
- Play Video: Highlights: Senators win double overtime thriller