Pat Knight’s epic post-game rant: calls own players ‘tin men with no heart … they’ll be homeless, without a job’
Feb 24, 2012, 12:37 PM EDT
I suppose it’s only fitting that on the 27th anniversary of Bobby Knight’s infamous chair-throwing incident at Indiana, his son would launch a controversial missile of his own. In this case it was a verbal rant by Pat Knight against his own Lamar basketball team: or specifically, his seniors. This has the Knight name stamped all over it. (Video below).
Key quote: “These kids are stealing money being on scholarship.”
Lamar senior guard Mike James was talking at a post-game press conference following Lamar’s 62-52 loss to Stephen F. Austin on Wednesday, when Pat Knight interrupted him.
Knight interrupted senior guard Mike James as he was answering a question from reporters and said, “Alright I’m next, you don’t have a clue what it takes to win a game.”
James then stormed off the podium and Knight proceeded to berate the seniors on his squad.
“I’m unhappy with these seniors, that’s what I’m unhappy with, it has nothing to do with X’s and O’s. We’ve got the worst group of seniors that I’ve ever been associated with”
Knight also called his players “tin men” who “lack heart,” and said that his team “has an infestation of guys who are hard to coach.”
“If you act this way in the real world, these players will be homeless, without a job.”
This is as old school as it gets — straight from the Bobby Knight/Hank Iba/Gene Hackman in Hoosiers handbook. Keep in mind that Lamar is 17-11 overall, 8-5 (2nd place) in the Southland Conference East. That’s not exactly a terrible record. The rant was a motivational tool — a controversial one, we can all agree — but that’s how Pat Knight rolls.
Pat Knight, who played for his father at Indiana, took over as head coach at Texas Tech when his father left in 2008. He was named the head coach at Lamar in April of 2011.
We’re at the gates of March Madness, folks. Welcome.
Knight rips team at news conference [Fox Sports Houston]
Bobby Knight’s Son Says His Players Will Be Homeless Without Jobs Following Loss [The Dish]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?