Feb 24, 2012, 9:48 AM EDT
As you know, ESPN football analyst and former Patriots RB Craig James is running for the U.S. Senate out of Texas — which leads to my favorite political polling data paragraph of the month so far:
James, who formally launched his campaign last week, draws 4 percent support. The former SMU Mustang and New England Patriot running back is struggling to overcome two liabilities: he’s largely unknown and he’s unpopular among those who know him.
I don’t mention this because I care about who wins a Senate seat from Texas — I don’t. It’s just a remarkably amusing paragraph is all. James is probably best known to you for the controversy surrounding his son, Adam, a receiver at Texas Tech. Craig and his son were at the center of a dispute that resulted in the university firing head football coach Mike Leach in 2010. That’s all well documented here.
James seems to have a talent for generating controversy. During the Republican candidate debate in Dallas on Wednesday, he commented on the fact that fellow Senate candidate Tom Leppert, the mayor of Dallas, twice marched in that city’s gay pride parade.
James: I think right now in this country, our moral fiber is sliding down a slope that is going to be hard to stop if we don’t stand up with leaders who don’t go ride in gay parades. I can assure you I will never ride in a gay parade. And I hear what you’re saying, Tom, but leaders — our kids out there people need to see examples.
Moderator: Do you think people choose to be gay?
James: I think it’s a choice, I do.
Moderator: It’s not in the genes?
James: I think that you have to make that choice. But in that case right there, they are going to have to answer to the Lord for their actions. We should not give benefits to those civil unions.
Remember, Craig James for U.S. Senate: Most people don’t know who he is, and he’s unpopular with those who do.
Craig James: Being gay ‘a choice’ [KERA]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games