Feb 17, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
I know your first question: “How many knots-per-hour were they traveling?” What, that wasn’t your first question? OK, then it probably had something to do with why they were naked. Here you go:
“We spent a lot of time rowing naked because when the sea water gets inside your clothes it increases friction against your skin which can cause sores,” says Debbie Beadle, Skipper of the Row for Freedom team.
“If you row naked it means you don’t rub as much and you also get dry much quicker instead of constantly having wet clothes.”
A five-person British crew — consisting of Beadle, Julia Immonen, Katie Pattison-Hart, Kate Richardson and Helen Leigh — broke the record for rowing across the Atlantic for a boat of five rowers, needing just 45 days to complete 2,600 miles from the Canary Islands to Barbados. And they did it nude, except for the last bit as they approached their destination, when they finally put on clothes.
It was all part of The Row for Freedom campaign, which aimed at bringing attention to the problem of human trafficking. True quote:
“We got to know each other very well,” says Beadle as she recalls airing her sores in front of her ship mates after a particularly hard day of rowing.
Thing that isn’t true, but would make this story way cooler if it was: The five had to battle super-giant shrimp creatures halfway through their journey, which they struck with paddles before making the world’s biggest appetizer.
Naked rowers break Atlantic record [CNN]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games