Feb 15, 2012, 5:20 PM EDT
Nobody expects the Spanish Linquisition! Remember this Spanish National Men’s Basketball team “slanty-eyes” photo from 2008? Well now karma is biting those players on the hinder, one by one, courtesy of Jeremy Lin.
Apparently the slant-eye gesture is quite popular in Spain, and this one was meant to mock Asians at the start of the Olympics in Beijing. It caused quite a controversy at the time, but now the members of that team who are in the NBA are getting their butts kicked by a Taiwanese-American. From Business Insider:
Lin beat Pau Gasol’s Lakers last Friday, Ricky Rubio’s Timberwoves last Saturday, and Jose Calderon’s Raptors last night.
Reddit user slyguy183 drew up an awesome red X photoshop (above), and last night Jacob Calo coined the term “Spanish Linquisition” — which might be the greatest Jeremy Lin pun of all time.
The only players from the ’08 Spain team left in the NBA are Rudy Fernandez (Nuggets) and Marc Gasol (Grizzlies). Luckily for them, they won’t meet Lin and the Knicks this year.
Really, Spain, it’s time to knock this off before you humiliate yourself further.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger