Feb 14, 2012, 7:54 PM EDT
That’s the theory, anyway. As balmy as this seems, it does make more sense than The Da Vinci Code … but then that’s a pretty low bar. The big news on soccer forums this week centers on Arsenal midfielder and Wales captain Aaron Ramsey, and how every time he scores a goal, someone famous dies. On Sunday his goal vs. Sunderland was blamed for the death of Whitney Houston.
Look, I didn’t say that I believe it, but many soccer fans evidently do.
Previous efforts have apparently seen off Muammar Gaddafi, Steve Jobs and Osama bin Laden.
On most of the days on which Ramsey scores a notable musician dies. The day after Ramsey found the net on 3 Jan 2010, producer Tony Clarke passed away. Five days earlier, a goal spelt the end for The Birthday Party’s Rowland Howard. A December 2009 goal saw off guitarist Jack Rose and a November ’09 goal came the day before rapper Derek B died of a heart attack.
Ramsey goal: 5-1-11, vs. Manchester United. Next day: Osama bin Laden killed.
Ramsey goal: 10-2-11, vs. Tottenham. Three days later: Steve Jobs died.
Ramsey goal: 10-19-11, vs. Marseille. Next day: Gaddafi killed.
Ramsey goal: 2-11-12, vs. Sunderland. That night: Whitney Houston died.
Arsenal plays again on Wednesday, vs. AC Milan. We’ll be watching closely.
Aaron Ramsey scores — and the music stops [The Independent]
Every time this soccer player scores someone famous dies [Buzzfeed]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: I'll Have Another wins the Preakness
- Play Video: Konig takes Stage 7, van Garderen retains overall lead
- Play Video: Staal in agony after knee-on-knee hit
- Play Video: Shackleford holds off Animal Kingdom
- Play Video: Gary Stevens wins third Preakness