Feb 14, 2012, 9:00 AM EST
I was hopeful that the Jeremy Lin craze was more than just a meme or a fad … but my hopes were seriously injured today as I discovered this: Linning.com. Now those of you bored with Tebowing or planking can form “geek glasses” with your hands and peer at a partner, as if you’ve both just discovered a mint issue of Action Comics No. 1 in the attic, or that The Big Bang Theory has been renewed for another season. Look, we’re Linning! It seems to have been taken from some weird ritual that Lin performs with teammates. Here he is with Landry Fields.
Look, don’t kill the messenger: it’s the public at large that’s fueling Linsanity. The media is just observing all this with our geek glasses.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
For a fee, a demolitions expert will come to your wedding and blow up the cake: “Wedding cakes can be brutally stodgy. Blowing the cake up spares the stomach after a heavy meal is a good way to wake guests up for the speeches.” …
- Brazilian soccer player arrested for hitting opponent with a camera stand.
- Carmelo Anthony says Jeremy Lin is like “Rudy.” Wow. That;s not exactly a compliment.
- Matthew Stafford throws passes off the roof at ESPN headquarters toward unsuspecting employees. How many hairpieces will he knock off?
- Harlem Globetrotters sign 7-foot-7 center from Britain.
Meanwhile, on Fourth Lake in Inlet, New York:
The Central Adirondack Paddlers Society breaks the world record for the largest raft of canoes and kayaks. Although if the Giants get to another World Series, they’ll surely break it:
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
Well, the older crook’s hair is back to being black today. Wasn’t he practically an albino just the other day? Pick a color and go with it, Elrod.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found