Feb 10, 2012, 2:38 PM EDT
A Canadian woman is suing a pair of runners for knocking her down on a running trail at Rideau Canal in Ottawa, asking for $350,000, court records show. Oh yeah, the two runners in question are blind.
Jason (pictured, left) and Jon Dunkerley, who are members of the Canadian paralympic team, were both born blind. They were training on the Rideau Canal trail with guides when the accident occurred. Mimi Lepage says that she sustained injuries to her hip, elbow and shoulder, and has since had trouble walking and housekeeping.
The the men (and their guide runners) crashed into her causing injuries that supposedly will require treatment for the rest of her life. Among the other claims in the suit are that the brothers were “running at an unsafe speed given the circumstances,” … and that the blind runners “owed a duty of care to other users of the recreational path not to create a hazard or situation of danger that the other users cannot avoid.”
However: the accident occurred in January of 2010, and a web site supposedly shows that Lepage participated in a 10k race that following April.
“We Googled her name to see who she was and it showed that she ran a race in April 2010, so if she was hurt so bad that she said she’s been unable to run, why is her name listed for running a 10-k months later?” Jon Dunkerley asked.
Blind Runners Frivolously Being Sued for Running into Woman [The Slanch Report]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness
- Play Video: Orb has a great chance to win the Preakness
- Play Video: Best putt ever?
- Play Video: Can Orb defy odds by winning Preakness?
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Highlights: Crosby's hat-trick leads Pens in Game 2
- Play Video: NBC Sports Live Extra tutorial