Feb 7, 2012, 6:34 PM EST
As we mentioned this morning, a cat sauntered onto the field during an English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur at Anfield in Liverpool on Monday (technically, it was a streaker), and was eventually carried off (gently) by stewards. But if you thought that was the end of the story, you’re not familiar with the sports fans of Planet Earth. BBC News:
Within minutes the cat was an internet sensation with at least three spoof Twitter accounts claiming to be the Premier League’s new star. The cat’s owner is yet to be identified but staff at Anfield know it as Sam.
Twitter accounts @AnfieldCat claims to be the “official twitter of me, the Anfield Cat” has more than 25,000 followers while @liverpoolfccat claims they are the “first, the original Kop Cat”, has more than 4,000 fans and @CatAnfield has almost 3,000 followers.
The top-visited Afield Cat account, @AnfieldCat, is infested with bad puns, but there are a few good tweets in there as well. Samples:
Me and Manuel Almunia have something in common, we both don’t really belong on a football pitch #anfieldcat #meow
milk is so expensive at football stadiums, it’s an epic swindle #anfieldcat #meow
in my 3 minute cameo I’ve ran past more players than Stewart Downing has all season #anfieldcat #meow
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found