Feb 1, 2012, 2:34 PM EST
1. Terrifying Bear-like Creature, Chicago Cubs. Big League Stew brings us this story of how the Chicago Cubs once had a costumed mascot, and how it was certified grade-A nightmare fuel. This “bear” more resembles a deranged muskrat or a mutant nutria, but I imagine it was state of the art for 1908. Also please note that this was the last time the Cubs won a World Series, so perhaps it’s time to bring him back. It won’t do any good to scour the storage rooms at Wrigley however — that park wasn’t built until 1914.
The mascot was also part of the legendary double-play combination of Tinker-to-Evers-to-Chance-to-Moldy Giant Squirrel.
2. Grandpa, Ceara FC. SAO PAULO (AP) — A team’s mascot has been suspended for two home matches for making obscene gestures to opposition fans. Ceara’s “Grandpa” mascot was suspended Tuesday after making the gestures to fans from Ferroviario in a match on Sunday. Local media reports that Ceara is also expected to punish the person who was inside the mascot costume. Ceara was relegated from the Brazilian first division last year but is one of the most famous clubs in northeastern Brazil. Or, as we call it in my family, “Thanksgiving dinner.”
3. Gapper, Cincinnati Reds. Come on, who hasn’t wanted to punch Gapper at one time or another? Topps rolled out its 2012 baseball card set on Tuesday, and one of the themes was mascots, as we can see with Mike Leake’s card here. I’m assuming there’s also a Mike Leake card without the mascot somewhere in the set.
5. Dunker, Murray State. A couple of guys named Trubz ‘N’ Matlock composed a rap song to celebrate the Racers’ 22-0 record this season, and the results were … well, judge for yourself (video below). Aiding and abetting this effort was Dunker, the Murray State mascot. Horses have been put down for less.
6. Highlander, Howell High School. A high school hockey coach in Howell, Mich., was released for allowing his players to participate in an off-campus ‘fashion show,’ in which some athletes dressed in bras and other lingerie. School administrators were not amused, saying that the incident constituted hazing. This is all somewhat ironic, considering the school’s mascot wears a kilt.
8. Sarge, Jackson Generals (Double-A Southern League). Sarge became the Generals’ mascot in 2010, and for some reason was immediately made a three-star general. This despite an obvious record of womanizing on the job. So what is he — a sergeant or a general? I think this team owes us some answers.
If you have a nomination for the Mascot Power Rankings, contact Rickchand@gmail.com. Twitter: @RickChand.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found