Jan 30, 2012, 10:54 AM EDT
Democrats are accusing Republicans of trying to rush a “Right to Work” bill through the Indiana state senate ahead of the Super Bowl XLVI, thus avoiding a nasty protest kerfuffle in the shadow of Sunday’s big game. Protesters are already camped out at the Indiana Statehouse, and on Saturday a contingent marched through the Super Bowl Village.
About 75 marchers weaved through packed crowds at the pre-game street fair in downtown Indianapolis in the first of what could be several such protests before the big game Feb. 5 at Lucas Oil Stadium. The protesters chanted “Occupy the Super Bowl” and carried signs that read “Fight the Lie” and “Workers United Will Prevail.”
At issue is a bill that would, say Democrats, effectively kill the state’s labor unions. Read more about that here. Republicans want to get the bill back to the state senate, where it is expected to pass, as soon as possible. But Democrats are walking out of legislative sessions in protest.
Also bearing down on Indianapolis are the Occupy Wall Street protesters, who are already joining with the Right to Work protesters, making this runup to the Super Bowl more interesting than first thought.
Thanks to Dave Zirin for the photo.
Union members, Occupiers protest in Super Bowl Village [USA Today]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong
- Play Video: Is Cabrera one of the greatest of all time?
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: Craig Adams lays out Spezza in OT