Jan 26, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
In case you thought that giant, moving outfield Home Run Tower art feature at the new Marlins Park was a hoax, here’s horrifying proof that it’s real. A webcam set up to track the progress of construction at the Miami Marlins’ new home shows the tower in the outfield, and it’s gigantic. See the animated gif below to get an idea of what the finished product will look like. It’s like the biggest piece of tacky art your brother-in-law ever gave you as a Christmas gift.
To give you perspective on how big this thing is, look at the bottom of the photo here: those are two workers sitting there against the fence. And those are full-sized palm trees next to the tower.
And here’s what the finished project is going to look like, every time a Marlin hits a home run. I first thought that this was a wild exaggeration, but I guess not.
Meanwhile, there’s a bill currently making its way through the Florida state senate that would make it mandatory for all stadiums constructed with public money — of which Marlins Stadium is one — to be used as homeless shelters during off days.
Professional sports teams in the state would have to return millions in tax money under a bill approved by a Senate panel Monday because of an unenforced part of a 24-year-old law that required all publicly financed stadiums in the state to be used as homeless shelters on off days.
Luckily for the homeless, speculation is that the bill has little chance of passing. Can you imagine waking up to the Marlins Home Run Tower every morning?
The Marlins’ Home-Run Feature: A Sense Of Scale [Baseball Nation]
Marlins new stadium will be called ‘Marlins Park’ … for now [Hardball Talk]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million