Jan 25, 2012, 10:01 AM EDT
The fine line between hazing and just wearing women’s underwear for fun is the subject of contention in Howell, Mich., where Howell High School boys hockey coach Randy Montrose and his staff have been dismissed by the school district. At issue was a traditional “talent show” organized by the coaches, in which players — many dressed in lingerie, including some in bras — paraded before a crowd at a local bar.
Two photos from the show can be seen in the video linked here.
School officials called it a hazing incident, and initially planned to pull the plug on the season. But an interim coach was found and the team has continued to play out its schedule.
But many parents, including some who were present at the talent show, say all the players participated willingly, and that it was harmless fun.
7 Action News has two photos that are being used with permission from each student’s parent. One of the teens shown in the pictures is wearing a dress and a wig. A second teen featured in a photo is wearing nothing but shorts and boots. 7 Action News has been told the rest of the team was wearing similar clothing and paraded around a bar in Marquette across from the hotel the team was staying at.
“I had a girl’s bra on and some shorts,” said Keiffer Roth, a sophomore. The hockey player said that everyone thought it was funny and no one complained or felt uncomfortable. Each teen performed a skit or song and awards were given out. Most of the parents of the players were there, including Roth’s father Jim.
“I asked and he said, well dad I want to do it and no one is forcing me to do it. As strange as it was, it was just clean fun,” said father Jim Roth.
I’m not sure what the controversy is here. So Howell students were wearing skirts and women’s underwear? For Christ’s sake, look at the school’s mascot. (Main photo above).
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights