Jan 24, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Take a good look at the artwork here, because that’s an accurate depiction of what the Eastern League All-Star Game Home Run Derby is going to look like. (My favorite part is the outfielder suspended in mid-air by a crane). The Double-A baseball circuit on Monday announced its Home Run Derby format (ahead of the actual All-Star Game on July 10), to be hosted by the Reading Phillies. And it will include:
- Players will be trying to hit select targets around the field to earn points.
- Outfield dunk tanks.
- People jumping on a trampoline.
- Pink flamingo yard ornaments.
- For every ball caught by a mascot, the batter loses points.
- VIP party on the infield, during the HR Derby.
Grammy Award-winning musician and Berks County resident David Cullen will also be performing uncomfortably close to the pitcher’s mound in a protected area as he entertains fans and all-stars in attendance.
The VIP guests and musicians will be protected by netting, of course … but who knows what could happen? It all looks like a giant circus of the surreal, which our intern, Josiah Schlatter, will be attending. Although he doesn’t know it yet.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: I'll Have Another wins the Preakness
- Play Video: Konig takes Stage 7, van Garderen retains overall lead
- Play Video: Gary Stevens wins third Preakness
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Shackleford holds off Animal Kingdom