What does Tim Tebow actually say when he Tebows? Here’s the audio

Jan 13, 2012, 10:04 AM EDT

Tim Tebow AP

As the Tebowing phenomenon conquers its last frontier here on Earth (you can check off Antarctica), there’s one question no one has asked. What is Tebow actually praying about when he Tebows? What are his exact words? The answer was shrouded in mystery, until now. The folks at Mentality Magazine put together a video entitled S*** Tim Tebow Says, compiling the best Tebow audio from games and press conferences. Hidden in there, at about the 33-second mark, is Tim actually praying as he kneels in the classic Tebow position.

Not sure if this is the entire prayer, but what we caught goes like this:

“Please put a wall of protection around me and my teammates today, as we go out there and honor you with everything we do and say. Love you Jesus, amen.

This answers a couple of questions, actually. No. 1, Tim is not merely praying for God to give him strength to play to the best of his abilities — he’s asking for Jesus to give him a wall of protection. That’s very specific, and brings to mind something Richard the Lionheart may have prayed for before attacking Saladin at the Battle of Arsuf. Or, dialogue from Iron Man.

No. 2, shouldn’t that be “my teammates and I”? For this I blame the University of Florida.

1. joshuaperkins - Jan 13, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Regarding your second observation, “me and my teammates” is actually the correct construction. To demonstrate this, taking out “my teammates” would make your “corrected” phrase “a wall of protection around I,” which is obviously wrong.

• archap - Jan 13, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Come on guys. When you have a preposition, you keep the word ‘me’ and it can come first or second. To change to “I” is simply being an ignorant doofus.

• florida727 - Jan 20, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Guys. Come on. Give Chandler a break. He was home schooled, whereas Tim… oh, never mind :)

2. joshuaperkins - Jan 13, 2012 at 10:44 AM

3. joshuaperkins - Jan 13, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Mr. Chandler, regarding your second observation, “me and my teammates” is actually the correct construction. To demonstrate this, taking out “my teammates” would make your “corrected” phrase “a wall of protection around I,” which is obviously wrong. I suppose we should blame this on your alma mater.

4. cur68 - Jan 13, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Hmmm…do we pay any attention to someone who takes 3 tries to get a 3 sentence thought expressed? Mr. Chandler, lets just blame society, shall we? Please, Jesus, put a wall of protection around this blog. There. Now we’re all safe.

• joshuaperkins - Jan 13, 2012 at 11:31 AM

cur68, the comment appeared three times because of an apparent glitch with my browser. I would be happy to have two of the comments deleted, as they are redundant, but your ad hominem attack on me was unwarranted and, frankly, unfunny.

• chadh88 - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Shouldn’t it actually be my teammates and me? I’m rather sure you still put yourself last in proper sentence structure.

• pyr8fan - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM

unbunch your panties nerdboy.

another ad hominem attack brought to you by the supporters of joshuaperkins-is-a-douche.com

• l0yalr0yal - Jan 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Cur68 be trollin’ again. This Negative Nancy likes to follow me around and leave awesome feedback on Tebow related content. Some people just need to be high-fived.

in the face.

with a chair.

• Rick Chandler - Jan 13, 2012 at 2:57 PM

No one messes with my readers!

• cur68 - Jan 13, 2012 at 6:18 PM

l0yalr0yal: Who the hell are you? I don’t EVER recall replying to anything you’ve ever posted, even on HBT, before today…and that reply on HBT was a positive one, to boot (see what I did there?). As for your Tebow related content, whatchootalkin’boutwillis? I think this is the FIRST Timmy related comment I’ve made on this blog and the only other one I’ve made was quoting Melville’s Moby Dick on HBT, 9/10ths of which was positive and that was to another poster entirely. I’d suggest you have me confused with someone else (maybe Jesus), or you’re one of those jackasses who uses multiple handles so you can pick fights and run away, or what you’re referring to was so obscure that its slipped my memory. Even if this isn’t the first time I (and probably Jesus) have replied to you on any blog whatsoever I think you’ll have a hard time supporting the contention that I “follow you around”. I’ll be sure and ignore you well and proper from here out.

• cur68 - Jan 13, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Touched a nerve, eh? Well, WWJD? Get all mad probably.

5. teblows - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:37 PM

it doesnt matter what this kid says.. he still cant throw the ball or complete 50% of his passes.. He gets the brett favre treatment with media coverage.. when denver wins its because of tebow.. when they lose its not his fault.

• metalhead65 - Jan 13, 2012 at 1:31 PM

are you serious? what media have you been reading,watching, or listening to? when the broncos when all they talk about is how the defense won it for them or how his receivers made him look good. and when they lose it is all well we told you you he can’t play in this league then go over in minute detail all his flaws.

• teblows - Jan 16, 2012 at 11:45 AM