Alex Smith on Drew Brees: ‘He can throw for as many yards as he wants … I’m looking to outscore him’
Jan 11, 2012, 11:55 AM EST
On one hand, it’s good to see Alex Smith come out of his shell and show a little edge to his personality. He’s earned it. On the other, I think I prefer the humble approach to this. On Tuesday, reporters asked if Smith could “out-throw” Saints’ QB Drew Brees. Smith:
“I have no idea. I don’t care. I really don’t care. I’m looking to outscore him. He can throw for how many yards as he wants to,” Smith said in his final answer to the swarm of reporters at his locker.
“It’s obviously new territory for a lot of us, me included, to still be playing football right now,” Smith said. “It was fun watching games last weekend, knowing we had a game coming up and we’re still rolling. It’s exciting. We’re not reflecting on it and enjoying still playing football.”
While much of the nation suffers from Tim Tebow fatigue this week, I can attest to the fact that much of Northern California is suffering from Drew Brees fatigue. Brees’ arm is all anyone in the media is talking about when it comes to this matchup, and I don’t blame the 49ers for being a little miffed about it.
Of course knowing Smith, he may have just been having a bit of fun with everyone. At any rate, has there ever been more eating of crow than there has been this year with the success of Smith and Tebow? And you expert prognosticators all know who you are.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found