Jan 9, 2012, 1:32 PM EDT
So the Mavericks met with President Obama this morning, and the Pres. got in his requisite Chicago Bulls reference, and even took a shot at the Miami Heat (see below). But that story that Delonte West told about being banned from the festivities? Not true, as it turns out.
West had told the Fort Wort Star-Telegram that he had been banned from attending due to pleading guilty to weapons charges during a traffic stop in Maryland in 2009. So he didn’t go.
But Secret Service spokesman Ed Donovan said in fact West could have taken part. A team spokeswoman, Sarah Melton, also said West was not banned from the White House ceremony but declined to comment on why he didn’t attend. West was not a member of the championship squad but joined the Mavericks prior to this season.
Man, West is one weird dude.
Meanwhile, in Obama’s statement to the Mavericks:
“They know how good teams win,” Obama said. “Not just by jumping higher or running faster, but by finding the open man, working together, staying mentally tough, being supportive of each other, playing smarter.”
Was that a rip on the Miami Heat? Apparently so.
He said that’s how Dallas “took down some of the league’s best teams … including the Miami Heat, who got a little bit of attention last year.”
Dallas Mavericks visit White House, Obama [Huffington Post]
Steve Urkle crashed the Mavericks’ White House visit, apparently [Off the Bench]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights