Jan 6, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Our story so far: Boca Raton, Fla., baker Alethea Hickman got a frantic (all caps!) email from the Shelborne South Beach hotel last week, saying that LeBron James was having a New Year’s Eve/birthday party where he was also announcing his engagement. They needed a birthday cake, so Hickman set to work.
She created a five-tier cake for The King at her shop, Passion For Pastry. (Her cake is the one on the right). Hickman said the cake was worth $3,000, but agreed to hand it over for free in exchange for publicity from the hotel. OK so far.
She had the cake delivered, but apparently LeBron’s people rejected it, and made arrangements for a different cake (pictured on the left).
But when she went online early on New Year’s Day, the photos tweeted worldwide were those of an ivory-colored rum cake with gold lion’s heads from Miami’s Divine Delicacies.
“I don’t even know where my cake went,” Hickman said. “I was mortified. They had me do it in the middle of the holiday crush and I hired additional people. Someone needs to pay.”
Galbut said James’ people decided Hickman’s work wasn’t fit for the king: “It just wasn’t what was expected. When LeBron’s people saw it, they just didn’t want to use it and decided to bring their own cake. I can’t tell LeBron James what birthday cake to eat. It’s LeBron James, for Christ’s sake.”
Now Hickman is hopping mad and wants to be paid for the cake. Hotel managing principal Jared Galbut, however, is disputing the price tag. “That cake couldn’t be worth more than $600. It’s flour, eggs and water.”
My favorite part: Hickman says she doesn’t want to start “a cake war.” Why not? Those are always the best wars!
LeBron’s girlfriend, Savannah Brinson, fared much better. Here’s the ring she got.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- WATCH LIVE: Wings-Hawks, Game 4
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1