Jan 4, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Roy Halladay recently went on an Amazon fishing trip with former Toronto Blue Jay teammates Chris Carpenter and BJ Ryan and friends, where they probably spent most of their time telling Ryan to shut up about the secret pitches they use. Oh, Halladay also saved a local who had been bitten by a gigantic anaconda. The snake also pulverized the man’s boat, and the baseball players towed him back home.
When Halladay’s crew got there the local already had a chunk of his butt bitten off by the snake.
“The Amazon is nothing like I had pictured in my mind. I thought I would be hearing the sounds of birds and animals all day long, but it wasn’t like that. We saw macaws and parrots flying in pairs occasionally, and we heard and saw monkeys, but for the most part, the river was silent, almost eerily silent most of the time. We had plenty of wildlife encounters though. Along with the fishing, we decided to go hunting one night, and Carpenter and B.J. both shot a caiman; which is like an alligator. Me and Doc Halladay even came across a local, sitting bare naked on a tree by the river. What we were able to figure out is that he was fishing in the river for tropical fish to sell for aquariums when he got attacked by an anaconda.
The snake apparently bit him on the a** but he was able to free himself before the snake wrapped him up. Instead the snake wrapped around his motor on the back of his little 14 foot dugout canoe and tore it off the back of his boat. Doc and I helped him gather his gear and flip the boat back over and then towed him home. You could definitely see the bite mark on his a**, but he was able to fight it off; amazing.”
If you were wondering, the very injury-prone Carpenter injured a foot on the journey when he cracked it on the side of the boat, resulting in a black and blue mark. Ryan probably tore a rotator cuff trying to cast his rod.
Now here are some Halladay highlights so you can see him saving the city of Philadelphia, in his element this time.
A Jungle Out There [Skeet Reese]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- PHT: Bruins go 'above and beyond' in Gm. 3
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury