Jan 4, 2012, 10:31 AM EDT
I thought that Darryl Strawberry’s ex-wife, Charisse, already got a big settlement following their divorce in 2005, but I guess I’m behind the times. Now TMZ is reporting that Strawberry has agreed to pay his ex-wife $800,000 in money that’s owed to him by the New York Mets. Only the Mets say they can’t pay her, because Strawberry owes the IRS. On Tuesday, says TMZ, a judge agreed.
Charisse had sued Darryl and the Mets earlier last year, demanding they fork over the $800,000 — but the Mets refused, insisting its hands were tied … because when it comes to debtors, the IRS always gets its money before anyone else.
Charisse and the Mets finally agreed last month to let the IRS take its cut first — but since the Mets are only doling out $8,891 a month in Darryl’s name … it’ll be at least until 2016 before Charisse sees a penny.
Is this the longest-running divorce settlement in history? Going on seven years now, and still wrangling over money. Some attorneys are making a career out of this, apparently.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found