Jan 2, 2012, 4:36 PM EDT
It must be difficult to live in other nations when every new year you’re greeted with this: a reminder that the U.S. is way ahead of you in recreational dog float technology. Yep, the 2012 Tournament of Roses Parade once again featured my favorite attraction: The Dick Van Patten’s Natural Pet Foods, Inc. float, featuring an actual surfing bulldog (his name is Tillman).
Last year the Van Patten float had a series of snowboarding dogs (video below), which was cool. But this beats everything. Rose Parade press release:
The world record-breaking Tillman, holder of the Guinness World Record as the fastest skateboarding dog, is going for 2 new Guinness World Records while entertaining us on the 2012 Natural Balance Rose Parade float. Natural Balance will attempt to break it’s own world record as the longest Rose Parade float entry in history (awarded in 2010 at 113 feet long) in addition to the record for the heaviest float and with the most water ever used on a Rose Parade float. They hold that title for their 2011 Rose Parade float entry weighing in at 84,300 pounds.
Here’s the 2011 float:
Sponsored by Dick Van Patten’s Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc., Tillman & Friends are having fun in the sun, as it is “Surf’s Up” on this 116-foot long float set in a tropical floral setting. Training since October, the dogs will actually surf on 65-foot long waves in over 6,600 gallons of water on a float weighing more than 100,000 pounds. A specially designed “wave” machine is incorporated into the design of the float and creates a wave every minute. Lining the 11’ tall “sea” walls are colorful sculptures of oversized floral waves, seashells, fanciful sea-life creatures, orchid blossoms and tropical ferns. Whimsical floral palm trees and shooting stars gives an old-style “Hollywood” welcome for the canine stars.
More nightmare fuel here.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement