Jan 1, 2012, 12:20 PM EDT
The Michigan State football team is set to play Georgia in the Outback bowl on Monday and head coach Mark Dantonio decided to lighten up his team and pull a prank on them during Thursday’s practice in Tampa, Florida.
Coach Dantonio brought a live alligator to practice and wanted to surprise the players/coaching staff by having someone dressed in Michigan State football gear to wrestle it.
So, Dantonio got an alligator handler to dress up as a player and run over to wrestle the gator, the only issue was that he slipped and fell down as the alligator decided to chomp on his leg:
“It was crazy, I wasn’t going near it,” said senior wide receiver Keshawn Martin. Senior wide receiver Keith Nichol said when the alligator clamped on the guy’s leg, it wasn’t part of the intended show and started to back away. “I watch too much ‘Animal Planet,’ ” he said.
Nichol said the gator’s chomp was so quick they couldn’t even see it. “It was incredible,” Nichol said.
“We’re trying to make life moments down here,” Dantonio said. “We wanted to do something they’ll remember the rest of their life. I think they’ll remember that one.”
The handler ended up being okay after the gator was removed from his leg and hopefully, the Spartan football players learned from this prank that alligators are not to be trusted.
Spartans watch as gator prank goes wrong during practice [Detroit Free Press]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement