NASCAR’s Kasey Kahne goes on Twitter rant after seeing woman breastfeeding

Dec 28, 2011, 2:09 PM EDT

Kobalt Tools 500 Getty Images

Irony Dept.: NASCAR driver Kayse Kahne, the two-time Speedway champion, is a member of the President’s Council on Service and Civic Participation. But apparently he draws the line at certain forms of civic participation. On Tuesday he launched a bizarre Twitter rant after seeing a woman breast feeding her baby in the supermarket. Kahne:

@kaseykahne Kasey Kahne
Just walking through supermarket. See a mom breast feeding little kid. Took second look because I was obviously seeing things. I wasn’t!
27 Dec
@kaseykahne Kasey Kahne
One boob put away and one boob hanging!!! #nasty
27 Dec
@kaseykahne Kasey Kahne
I don’t feel like shopping anymore or eating
27 Dec
@kaseykahne Kasey Kahne
@KnittingRad And your a dumb b****.

The censoring in that last tweet is mine. And please note that if you go to Kahne’s Twitter feed now, the second and fourth tweets above have been deleted.

Now, we all have our opinions on public breastfeeding, and no one is denying Kahne his views on the subject. What’s so bizarre about his reaction is that it seems he’s never seen such a thing before — or even knew it existed. And of course his reply to one Twitter follower who objected is way over the line.

Also, a female human breast? Ewww! Apparently, Kasey is seven years old.

From Mediate:

“It’s rather stunning to see misogyny and sexist comments about breastfeeding from a NASCAR driver, especially considering the percentage of female fans of the sport, and NASCAR’s effort to reach them with branded products like Harlequin novels,” noted feminist blogger Sarah Wendell. “Perhaps the solution is more breastfeeding in NASCAR novels, lots and lots of breastfeeding.”

Kahne’s NASCAR sponsor Great Clips, has released a statement apologizing for his tweet. “Our apologies for this. Please know that response was uncalled for & does not reflect our organization.”

Kahne also gave a half-apology on his Facebook page, saying that he “didn’t mean to offend” anyone.

Coincidentally, several women staged a “nurse-in” at a Houston area Target store on Wednesday, after an incident last month in which a nursing mother was asked by store employees to nurse her child in a more private area of the store.

***
NASCAR driver sees bare boobs in public, freaks out [Sports Grid]
NASCAR’s Kahen sorry for breastfeeding comments [NBCSports]

1. mikeinthevine - Dec 28, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Maybe Kasey was turned off cause he drives on the other side of the road!

2. michiganhockey11 - Dec 28, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Hey Kasey, thanks for taking a nice puritan stance on something that is a completely natural process. Breastfeeding: a lot of moms do it. Sorry if you were bottle fed.

Not everyone can afford formula you clod. Not everyone makes that kind of jack that you do. Breastmilk is the best stuff a kid can get. There’s nothing disgusting or sexual about it. You probably don’t complain when you see whale-tails in while walking in the mall do you? Act like an adult and grow up.

~This rant brought to you by a 27yr married man with 2 kids that were/are breastfed~

• trbowman - Dec 28, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Sex is natural to, but I don’t see people doing it in public.

• trbowman - Dec 28, 2011 at 7:30 PM

too*

3. grudenthediva - Dec 28, 2011 at 5:21 PM

I love the people who try and turn stuff like this into an attack on breastfeeding in general. Listen, pantywaists, its perfectly natural and if you feel the need to do this in your car, a public/family restroom or waiting area, by all means.

That does not, however, give you carte blanche to just do this in the middle of a shopping line, a big crowd, at a sporting event, etc. and then cry sexism when someone DARES to wonder if maybe you’re better off doing it elsewhere. It’s on par with the folks who a.) change soiled diapers and wipe soiled butts in plain sight and b.) start every sentence with “As a parent…”, indicating that anyone whom isn’t can’t have an opinion.

Get over yourselves, twits.

• amusedouche - Dec 28, 2011 at 5:37 PM

actually grudenthediva….there are many laws that protect the right to feed your children in public. Its a boob. Get over it. I’m not going to feed my children in a dirty public restroom. That is #nasty as Kasey would say.

• ponsonbybritt - Dec 28, 2011 at 5:52 PM

There’s definitely a time and place for things such as breastfeeding, but apparently the trend is to find the time and place where public exposure of what you’re doing reaches critical mass.

• ponsonbybritt - Dec 28, 2011 at 5:57 PM

To be fair, Kasey Kahne is also “finding the time and place where public exposure of what you’re ranting about reaches critical mass” by almost immediately griping about what he saw on Twitter. Can’t somebody out there please not be in a rush to tell the universe you’re offended with something? How about overlooking it for a change?

• kjsimps - Dec 28, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Nail on the head! Is it natural to breastfeed? Yes. Is it necessary to have your tit hanging out every time you go into a public place just because it’s your “right” ??? Give me a break. As a Mother who was unable to breastfeed, I have to say that the superiority complex of the breastfeeding American Mom has reached it’s maximum capacity of acceptability to me (and no, I’m not jealous so get off it).

4. trbowman - Dec 28, 2011 at 7:31 PM

I mean, to be fair, I never really mind seeing boobs.

5. trbowman - Dec 28, 2011 at 7:37 PM

What a moron. He’s a misogynist for not wanting to see tits in public? God, feminists.

And besides, it’s stunning to see comments like this from a NASCAR driver?!?!?! What planet is this woman living on, Jupiter?

6. takayumi - Dec 28, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Me myself, I know it is natural but at the same time it should be a private moment between mother and child… If you know you’re going to be away from home for a long time, plain ahead. We all know **** happens, so there are public bathrooms in certain areas… Like I said, I just think when your a mother you should always have to plain a head…

7. jerseyshoregiant - Dec 28, 2011 at 11:04 PM

any woman breast feeding in a supermarket is just looking for attention. you can’t tell me she didn’t have an idea before she walked into the supermarket that it was almost time to feed the baby. I’ve seen women breast feed in a number of different public places and didn’t think twice about it but I don’t necessarily want to see it in a supermarket or a restaurant but I definitely wouldn’t get offended enough to rant and rave about it.

8. goforthanddie - Dec 29, 2011 at 2:03 AM

If a woman wants to breastfeed in public, she should go around topless 24/7. Otherwise, wait til you get back to your minivan instead of whipping that puppy out in the middle of Safeway.

9. slugbaitspace - Dec 29, 2011 at 3:02 AM

Also, a female human breast? Ewww! Apparently, Kasey is seven years old.

If the little kid being breastfed was seven years old, then I’m TOTALLY on Kasey’s side with this one…

• Rick Chandler - Dec 29, 2011 at 4:05 AM

Hmm, obviously you haven’t seen Game of Thrones. “Make the bad man fly!”

10. ozwest - Dec 29, 2011 at 6:48 AM

Just proves that crash test dummies can tweet . . . .

11. luckywi - Dec 29, 2011 at 6:54 PM

This from a guy who likely has, or should I say, HAD, more female than male fans. Always knew he was….um….nevermind. See Kasey. I didn’t say something ignorant. I checked myself. Boobs are gross. Says it all for me.

12. skullsandheartscrafts - Dec 29, 2011 at 8:29 PM

It’s so sad and depressing what this world has turned into. There’s people getting away with murder and molesting children and everyone’s ranting about this and the Kardashians. We are not a hundred plus years ago, they make breast milk pumps for a reason, TO BE PREPARED TO FEED WHEN YOURE OUT. So if woman can’t handle doing this as a parent, that’s a sad place to be. I agree with the comment about the woman just wanting attention. When that is done in a private place, no one can complain, but we can complan if we’re out shopping and someone’s doing that in public. Yes it’s a natural thing, no one’s saying it isn’t, but of all the inventions we have had, this was the natural thing to do in the eighteen hundreds. Not in a supermarket. He has a right to have his word on it, he didn’t go into a womens restroom and see it. So if she wanted to be public, that’s what she got, and if she wanted attention, that’s what she got, and thanks to her, now he’s suffering. I wouldn’t want to see the crap neither. This world has more importand things to rant about than this crap. Molesting kids, murders, rapist, child murders and/or abuse is just a LITTLE bit more important to me than this crap.

13. heaven36420 - Dec 30, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Okay lets all grow up a little bit here. Yes breastfeeding is natural and yes they have breast pumps available, we established this a long time ago in this discussion. Here is my question: Just because we run out of bottles or are out doing required shopping longer than originally planned should we not be able to feed our kids? I breastfed all 4 of my children. I am proud of that and I did occasionally have to find a quiet corner when we were out to feed them. I did NOT run to a nasty public bathroom or anything though. Any mother who breastfeeds understands “hooter hiders”. They are made to cover the hooter and the child so nothing is hanging out. You all talk like a woman is sitting in the middle of Target or Walmart and hanging out a boob for attention and that is not the way that it is. That is a strip club, not a mom feeding her kid. So yall need to grow up and remember this….45 states have laws protecting the right of a mother to breastfeed in public. This may be something that you will see more of. Enjoy :)

• skullsandheartscrafts - Dec 30, 2011 at 9:41 AM

you are totally right, but that’s what they make restrooms for. If you had to pee, you wouldn’t squat down in the middle of produce would you? You’d use that “nasty bathroom”. Why? Cause that’s a private moment and you don’t want everyone to see your junk. Well, you use those nasty bathrooms to pee in if you have to, or change a diaper if you have to, well all you’re doing when feeding is standing up. You’re not touching a thing in the bathroom or a stall. So…. it makes no sense in why not to go to a private stall and do it their. You’re not touching a thing in that nasty bathroom. You put your naked butt in it, touching stuff, touching the toliet paper, touching everything else and to breast feed in a stall you don’t have touch a thing. Sounds like an excuse to me. I’m a mother, so no one can talk to me as if i don’t understand but i have too much respect for myself to whip out my boob in a store and start breast feeding when i’m smart enough to understand that NO ONE wants to see that, all the perv’s are getting off on it, and innocent children are around feeling uncomfortable. I’d go into a bathroom, or go back in my car. It’s just called having respect for yourself and others. No one wants to see it and we don’t live in a innocent time anymore that everyone seeing it is thinking ohhh how natural and walks away. Like i said, we have other things in this world to be worried about. And yes to me, it’s an attention getter. I’m sure aqua mom has done this plenty of times.

14. dawn96741 - Dec 30, 2011 at 1:13 AM

Here’s just the tip of the iceberg of what no news feed had the DECENCY to include in their articles. I’ll keep reposting it for the newcomer haters. Hopefully they gain new insight of Kasey attack.

“@KnittingRad Deana P @kaseykahne wow, you’re kind of a douchebag, where would you propose that baby eat, the restroom? Would you eat in the restroom? @scatx.”

She proudly has this as her bio-feed: “Mom of 3, caffeine junkie, knitter, liberal, pro-choice, feminist, Twins fan, sayer of inappropriate things. Will for sure contain explicit lyrics”.

North Minneapolis, MN · http://www.knittinginmpls.etsy.com/

When readers go to their twitter page, @KnittingRad and @scatx, they’ll see first hand the intentional vile, slanderous campaign they waged against Kasey & the tide will turn against them. Vitriolic laced insults. Even after he apologized to Deana P, she continued to mock him, proudly saying she brought him to his knees. Ironically, she can dish it out but can’t take it because she slams fans then proudly retweets that she blocked them. Don’t take my word, go see for yourselves. Start back from 12/27. Now, after being bombarded for 2 days, she’s feeling only a FRACTION of what Kasey is going through and wants out.

TRUE proud Kasey Kahne fan forever. Those who say they are no longer fans, they never were if they abandon him. We’ll be here for him through all the ups and downs.
    ————————————————————————————-

@KnittingRad Deana P
    One last thing, my comment calling @kaseykahne a douchebag was knee jerk and out of line. I’m sorry. #Fin
    21 hours ago

@Lacky1285
    @KnittingRad I am not condoning what he said, but I am pretty sure when @kaseykahne apologizes he means it. BTW, loving the MN winter? I am!
    21 hours ago
    in reply to ↑

@KnittingRad Deana P
    @Lacky1285 I think he did too.
    ————————————————————————————-

WentRogue Stacey Burns
    Imagined dialogue between Kasey Kahne and his handler, as seen on FB: http://twitpic.com/7zys00 YOU TYPES FOR ME? @scatx
    20 hours ago
    in reply to ↑

@KnittingRad Deana P
    @WentRogue I’m cackling. @scatx
    ————————————————————————————-

@KnittingRad Deana P
    The next time a public figure says something that’s not cool, remind me to keep my mouth shut.
    9 hours ago via Plume
    replies ↓

RedheadKnitster P Hall
    @
    @KnittingRad you lasted longer than @AlecBaldwin
    8 hours ago

KnittingRad Deana P
    @
    @RedheadKnitster my husband always warned me that my mouth would get me into trouble. @AlecBaldwin
    8 hours ago

RedheadKnitster P Hall
    @
    @KnittingRad WTH kind of world would it be if we all just let it ride? That said I’m sorry about the ignorant lined up in your twitter feed
    8 hours ago

KnittingRad Deana P
    @
    @RedheadKnitster I wish the tweet had gone unnoticed, like they usually do.
    8 hours ago
    ————————————————————————————————————————————————————————–
    And for the funniest, most ironic of all. She’s clueless. Answers that she thought she would remain anonymous
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

@KnittingRad Deana P
    Anonymity. RT @piqueristic What is it about the Internet that makes people be so hateful to one another?
    20 hours ago in reply to ↑

@micksylvestre
    Mick Sylvestre @KnittingRad @piqueristic Online bullies are disconnected from of their actions, it makes them spiteful.

@micksylvestre Mick Sylvestre
    @KnittingRad @piqueristic …and cowards.
    58 minutes ago via web

————————————————————————————
    Deana P @KnittingRad
    @nsbogert I’m not going to comment any further on these matters. Thank you very much for the offer though.

In reply to Nick Bogert
    11:23 AM – 29 Dec 11
    Deana P @KnittingRad 55m
    I’m checking out of twitter for the day, this is overwhelming.

11:51 AM – 29 Dec 11

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————–

This just came in. If you check Kasey’s page, he hasn’t tweeted about it after his apology yet this tweep continues to slam him for @KnittingRad.
    ———————————————————————————–

KelliRae63 Kelli Gowen
    @kaseykahne How about stirring up smthng worth fighting for instead? What a waste on smthng that just shld be! Lve @knittingrad alone!
    52 minutes ago
    ————————————————————————————-

Again…TIP of the iceberg. Get on the Titanic and check out their twitter pages, their ship is sinking . I’ll keep reposting for the newcomer haters.

• goforthanddie - Dec 30, 2011 at 2:28 AM

There’s a reason nobody included: nobody wants to read all that scribbledygook.

• goforthanddie - Dec 30, 2011 at 2:29 AM

included it^

• skullsandheartscrafts - Dec 30, 2011 at 9:47 AM

He shouldn’t have even said sorry. Everyone has a right to say whatever they want, it’s called freedom of speech. And if it made him disgusted, as it would have me too, he had a right to say something. She wanted the attention and now that she got it, now he’s the bad guy. How come people can get away with murdering their child and/or molesting children but don’t have a right to have our opinion anymore. Pretty messed up world we live in.

15. allthecoolnamesrtaken - Dec 31, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Lets all take a breath.

Why can’t the facts be presented in the story completely?  We do know that Kasey Kahne made some remarks regarding a woman breast feeding.  They have been well documented.  Most websites leave out the woman’s verbiage in her retort, such as “you’re kind of a douchebag” (oops almost used your instead of you’re) and “stay classy a**hole”, like this website did. Is that reason for Kasey to respond to her the way he did?  No.  He has apologized to her for that in a tweet to her and invited her to direct message him to discuss it further if she wished.  He has also apologized via his facebook regarding the entire matter.  I’m sure he means it.

All this talk about him being an uneducated hillbilly.  It is uncalled for.  He graduated early from high school
    in the state of Washington, in order to pursue his goal of racing for a living.  If he hadn’t been upset for being tagged a “douchebag” I’m sure he would have paid more attention to his use of your rather than you’re.  That is not to say that one’s use of your/you’re is a good barometer of one’s overall IQ.

Is this a reason to vilify him in the media, including social media?  Do we discount that one of the very first things he did when he signed a contract is start a foundation which has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for children’s charities?  Do we string him up for an error in judgement that he now regrets?  Have none of us ever said or done anything we regret?  Not just to anonymous strangers, but to those we love?  He’s a just a guy, except he loves to race, and has poured his every spare minute into it to achieve his goal. He uses the fame he has found for good.  He screwed up in a public way- that is a fact.  There are those calling for him to be fired. The next time your husband or wife screws up, are you going call his or her employer and attempt get him or her fired, or are you just going to consider Kasey losing his livelihood worth it to move your cause forward or feel you’ve defended our legitimate right to breastfeed?  I really HOPE you can find another way to achieve that particular goal.

16. dawn96741 - Jan 1, 2012 at 2:26 AM

*UPDATE*Apparently @KnittingRad Deana P, can dish it out but can’t take it. She slams his fans and laughs that she blocked them. She tweets that she has never deleted a tweet but HIDES behind an initial instead of her full name. WHAT A COWARD!!!! She has now “protected” her account so no one can see her vile hate filled comments. She was whining that she had no idea it would get this bad and wants it “to go away. WHAT?? TOO LATE!!!

What about the damage she caused for Kasey professionally and publicly? He’s paid a steep price for his lapse in judgment, publicly and professionally. She can remain anonymous.To those who said they can no longer be his fans, let’s hope they never do anything wrong and regret it. They were never a true fan if they abandon him for this. His true fans will stick by him through all his ups and downs.
    What she needs to do if she TRULY wants this to stop is post her apology on Kasey’s fb page. She did on her twitter page, half heartedly, but who sees it unless you go to her page which is now blocked. AND since she’s savvy enough to have contacted the news wire, do so w/ her apology. She needs to admit that she was wrong as well, he did.

17. dawn96741 - Jan 1, 2012 at 2:41 AM

WAY TO GO “allthecoolnamesttaken”. Both of us didn’t address those who called him a spoiled brat who grew up w/ a silver spoon. He and his sister left home alone when he was 17 and he worked his butt off(hope someone doesn’t mistakenly misconstrue that as b**b), while working on his own car on a shoestring budget. He wrecked the last car that his father provided, and sore w/ black eyes and bruises, fixed it himself to drive the next night.

18. skullsandheartscrafts - Jan 4, 2012 at 1:07 PM

This comment just goes to show the morals that people have that had a problem with twitting his two cents about public breast feeling. Let’s just make fun of gays and call men a fag that actually have respect for woman? And for woman that should respect themselves. Nice move. If there were more men in this world that had respect for woman, this world would be a much better place. Of course all the boys out their are going to call him a “fag” cause they don’t look at breast feeding as a beautiful thing, they’re being a perv. And that was my point in a comment that i had posted earlier. Any way for a guy to be a perv, they’re going to defend. Like i said, the world isn’t the way it use to be, no one looks at stuff in a beautiful, fairy, la la land. And woman are smart enough to know that. Public breast feeding is for attention, i don’t care what anyone says. And like i said earlier, if the bathrooms aren’t that nasty to put your naked butt down on a toilet seat that thousands have used, you shouldn’t have a problem standing up in a stall breast feeding. If more people had respect this world would be a great place. No one can compare a woman breast feeding in public, to the way “some” women dress in public. I saw a sarcastic picture of that to stand up for breast feeding. Woman dress like that because they want attention, and so does the woman that feed in the middle of a freakin store. It’s bad enough he’s getting hell for being respectful, don’t start disrespecting the gay world also.